Sunday, April 7, 2013

Strawberry Spinach Salad

Spring is here which means that fruit is back in season! There is something about a bright red strawberry that makes me light up! This strawberry spinach salad has got to be one of my all time favorites and one I always like to make for showers, dinner parties, or other events. It is so simple to make, fresh, and loaded with so many good things. And did I mention the dressing that goes with it is homemade and so freaking delicious! This salad is always a crowd pleaser and is gone in a matter of minutes. I am always getting asked for the recipe as well. My husband isn't much of a veggi eater, but he requests this salad all the time. Folks, that says something right there. I swear my husband is the pickiest eater out there! Generally when I make this salad I just throw it together with a handful of this, a handful of that but I did give you an exact recipe if you would like to follow that. I hope you guys enjoy this salad as much as we do!
Strawberry Spinach salad

Ingredients:
Salad:
9 cups fresh spinach leaves
2 cups sliced strawberries
1/4 cup sliced purple onion
1/2 cup craisins
1/2 cup candied almond slivers
1- 15 oz can mandarin oranges
Feta cheese sprinkled on top if desired
Directions:
Put spinach in a large bowl and layer with remaining ingredients. To make the candied almonds put 1/2 cup slivered almonds and 1/4 sugar in a pan over medium low heat. Stir until the sugar begins to melt. Once the almonds are toasted lightly and covered in the melted sugar, remove from heat and let cool on parchment paper. Once cooled add to the salad. 
  
Dressing:
3/4 cup raspberry vinegar
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup vegetable oil 
1 1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp grated red onion
Directions:
Place all of the ingredients in a blender and mix together well. Dressing is best if you let it refrigerate a few hours before serving


No comments:

Post a Comment