Thursday, January 17, 2013

Lemon Loaves

My mom used to make lemon loaves all the time growing up for Sunday dinners. I remember my brother used to request these all of the time. They were his favorite meal. Now, I have never had a traditional meat loaf but I am pretty sure that these are very similar, but with a few different ingredients.So if you like meat loaf you will love these.  I had forgotten about these bad boys and last night decided to make them. I was actually kind of surprised at how much my kids enjoyed them. (They are very picky eaters!) They gobbled them down and even ate the left overs for lunch today. These are a fairly quick and super easy meal to make!
Lemon Loaves: {Makes 6}

Ingredients:
2 pounds ground beef
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup water
1 slightly beaten egg
1 cup oatmeal
1/4 finely diced yellow onion
2 tsp seasoning salt

Sauce:
1 cup ketchup
1 cup brown sugar
2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp allspice

Directions:
Combine all ingredients (excluding sauce ingredients) in a large bowl. Once everything is combined well, shape meat mixture into 6 individual sized loaves. Place on a baking sheet or in a casserole dish and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. 
While the meat is cooking mix up your sauce. Pull the meat out of the oven once they have cooked for 30 minutes and drain the juices out of the bottom of your baking sheet or casserole dish. Pour the sauce over the lemon loaves, place back in the oven and cook for 15 more minutes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment