Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Creamy Tomato Soup

The weather here in Arizona has sure chilled up lately. I actually feel the need to wear a jacket and turn on the heater. Since the weather is so hot here most of the year I try to take advantage of any chance I have to soak up the winter goodness. Eating soup happens to be one of those things. Because my husband was working late tonight, I wanted to make something super simple and easy. Tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches happens to be one of my favorite go to fast and easy meals. I can't eat one without the other. To me its like peanut butter and jelly, milk and cookies, hot chocolate and creamers. They just go hand in hand. Generally I just make a condensed tomato soup from a can, add a cup of milk, and heat it on the stove. That was until my mom introduced me to this recipe for homemade tomato soup. Let me tell you it is like one hundred times tastier than the store bought stuff. Oh, and it is super easy to make too! 
Creamy Tomato Soup

Recipe:
32 oz canned petite cut tomatoes
9 oz chicken broth
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp chopped onion
pinch of baking soda
2 cups heavy whipping cream

Directions:
In a large saucepan heat tomatoes, chicken broth, butter, sugar, and onions. In a double boiler heat heavy whipping cream. Add hot cream to the hot tomato mixture. Simmer 30 minutes on low heat. If you want a less chunky soup put the tomatoes in the blender or use hand mixer to chop them up into smaller pieces. 


No comments:

Post a Comment